Now, before you run off thinking that this some super sour concoction, I have to tell you that these flavors are perfect together. Added early enough, most of the acid from the lemon cooks out, leaving you with the fresh flavor. If you want sour oatmeal though, just add more lemon!
A week or two ago, our nice neighbors from across the street gave us a big grocery bag full of fresh lemons from their tree. Fresh, juicy, and bursting with flavor, they were just begging to be used. Naturally, I had to put it in my oatmeal. 😉
The lemon is paired with coconut, and together they give the best flavors.
Since I had to take my oatmeal to go this morning, into a cup it went. 😉
Lemon Coconut Oatmeal
- 1/3 Cup oats
- 1 + 2/3 cup milk of choice
- Sweetener to taste (depending on your milk, maybe start with 1 tablespoon)
- 1/8 of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons coconut flakes
- Bring 1 cup of milk to a boil on the stove, then add oats. Stirring, cook until fluffy.
- Then, add the rest of the milk, 2/3 cup. Squeeze lemon into oatmeal, about a teaspoon or several drops. Add coconut.
- Stir until fluffy. Let cool and enjoy! If you’d like, top with extra coconut and lemon zest.